www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ICE ECC the only software supporting ECC format?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmaizel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Is ICE ECC the only software supporting ECC format? Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there documentation available
about ECC file format and algorithms?
Any public test suite?

Is there any third party software supporting the same format?
Essentialy, is there any Unix/Linux software available?

Thank you!
B.M.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is ICE ECC the only software supporting ECC format? Reply with quote

bmaizel wrote:
Any public test suite?

No

bmaizel wrote:

There is not
bmaizel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is ICE ECC the only software supporting ECC format? Reply with quote

ICE Graphics wrote:
bmaizel wrote:
Any public test suite?

No

bmaizel wrote:

There is not

Well... thanks!

Nobody can review your algorythm, and nobody
can independently test your implementation.
And there will be no alternative implementations.

In other words, the chances of a critical bug in the specification
or in the software are too high for me. I can not use your software
for protection of sencitive data.

Neverless, thank you for the work you have done.
I suggest you publishing file format and algorithms
for independent review, or even making your software open source.
Software in the donain of cryptographie or data protection needs
a very high level of trust!

B.M.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is ICE ECC the only software supporting ECC format? Reply with quote

bmaizel wrote:
Nobody can review your algorythm, and nobody
can independently test your implementation.
And there will be no alternative implementations.

Yes

bmaizel wrote:
In other words, the chances of a critical bug in the specification
or in the software are too high for me. I can not use your software
for protection of sencitive data.

Ask Microsoft about publication Windows sources and Intel/AMD for detailed specifications for their CPU. I think that I know their answer Smile

So, if you can not test Windows and CPU, you can not use it. But you can not do it, because you do not have sources. Build your own CPU and Windows Smile

bmaizel wrote:

Do you really think what somebody will try to find bugs in sources, if to public them?

P.S. You can use ICE ECC or not use. I do not care.
mmebane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is ICE ECC the only software supporting ECC format? Reply with quote

ICE Graphics wrote:
bmaizel wrote:

Do you really think what somebody will try to find bugs in sources, if to public them?

Maybe, maybe not. However, should you choose to release the source code under a suitable license (and as my school-limited time permits), I would definately be interested in making a Linux version. PAR seems to be the best cross platform error-correction solution now, and, as you yourself have shown, it leaves much to be desired.
Telengard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is ICE ECC the only software supporting ECC format? Reply with quote

mmebane wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. However, should you choose to release the source code under a suitable license (and as my school-limited time permits), I would definately be interested in making a Linux version. PAR seems to be the best cross platform error-correction solution now, and, as you yourself have shown, it leaves much to be desired.

While I respect Ice Graphics' right to control license of their source code and software, I do agree with mmebane's point. I personally choose open source and free (as in "freedom") software whenever possible. I find it reassuring when a developer is confident enough to publish the source for review by other competent programmers.

In the case of ICE ECC, I have chosen to use it on my Windows computer instead of QuickPar. With QuickPar my work has been slow due to limitations of the client, such as lack of directory support. I found ICE ECC through Google while searching for a solution to "Too many files selected" error. These limitations combined with a number of unexplainable errors during creation and recovery process make QuickPar painful to use.

ICE ECC solves all those problems, and provides new features to make my archival work much easier. For example, I greatly appreciate the "Fit to, bytes" feature which saves me the work of calculating size of recovery data for my archival volumes. Also, ICE ECC is fast, much faster than QuickPar. Thank you ICE Graphics! Very Happy

For some time now I have been learning Linux, with the hope of eventually leaving Windows behind forever. It saddens me to think that when I finally wipe my hard drive clean and insert the Linux install CD, I'll be forced to leave ICE ECC behind as well. Crying or Very sad

Thank you very much, ICE Graphics, for letting us use your excellent program at no cost. I look forward to using it for a few more months.
street011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed i must thank ice graphics for this wonderfull programm, i've been using it for a while now, mainly for its speed.

But i strongly agree with TS that it's a good thing to make the source public domain under a fitting license. And as it's free already you're not missing out on any cash there i think...

I'm reasonably confident on the security of my data from experience, but there's no code review available, that keeps me thinking a little... (yes, people review sourcecodes! if they didn't the community wasn't so big Smile)
stonecall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say ICE ECC sounds like the ultimate data protection tool...

however i strongly encurage you to at least publish the specifications. As ICE ECC is freeware you can't possibly loose anything by that.

As i don't use Windows, because noone can review it's source code, i can't and won't use your tool.

To be honest, as long as there are no specs, i wouldn't even if it would run on linux....
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonecall wrote:
however i strongly encurage you to at least publish the specifications. As ICE ECC is freeware you can't possibly loose anything by that.

What kind of specifications you are looking for?

stonecall wrote:
As i don't use Windows, because noone can review it's source code, i can't and won't use your tool.

What are you afraid? May be you think what using Linux will make your system invulnerable? You are wrong. Read it: http://cryptome.org/bug-attack.htm
Any CPU developer can add hidden command in CPU, witch will allow to hack ANY system. It is interesting to me, you will stop to use CPU too?
Moreover, anybody who know how to create microcode patch for CPU can do it...

stonecall wrote:
To be honest, as long as there are no specs, i wouldn't even if it would run on linux....

ICE ECC can be run on Linux. Use Wine, VMWare or similar Windows emulators.
Telengard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: ICE ECC can be run on Linux! Reply with quote

After a few months I return here to read the latest developments on ICEECC and I find this wonderful news:

ICE Graphics wrote:

ICE ECC can be run on Linux. Use Wine, VMWare or similar Windows emulators.

I am very pleased to know that ICE Graphics supports use of ICEECC under Wine! I'll be sure to try this next time I am making archives Smile

Thanks again, ICE Graphics.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: ICE ECC can be run on Linux! Reply with quote

Telengard wrote:
I am very pleased to know that ICE Graphics supports use of ICEECC under Wine! I'll be sure to try this next time I am making archives Smile

I hope next version will work fine under Winde
cutecub00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, ICE Graphics, for letting us use your excellent program at no cost. I look forward to using it for a few more months.
EdmundStove

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the software and will continue to use it but it would be great if it was open source in the public domain seeing as it's free anyway.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdmundStove wrote:
I love the software and will continue to use it but it would be great if it was open source in the public domain seeing as it's free anyway.

What would you say if a new version of ICE ECC with the revolutionary changes will become shareware? For example, if ICE ECC at the same time costs could use a thousand times smaller blocks.
Stanislas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using ICE ECC despite the fact that it is a wonderful program.
I will not ask for an open source release, that's something that is up to to programmer to decide. I'm fine with it being closed source.
What I would like, or rather what would make me use ICE ECC, is the release of the specifications. I'm fine with a program to be closed source, but much less comfortable with my data protection in a format that cannot_be_used without any other software.
Maybe it's more the idea that I can store data with a protection mechanism, and can somehow me sure that even long after ICE ECC has stopped being updated. Maybe then, x86 systems are history, a specification of the format can help restore data. ICE ECC will be the golden implementation of teh specification, I'm sure. So there is little to loose. Or it must be that it's either to complex to make a good specification, or that it's not complete yet, or perhaps documenting it takes too much time.
Nevertheless, I keep an eye on ICE ECC, just in case my wish comes true. Just as I'm keeping an eye on the Parchive 3.0 specifications being developped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: