www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDD Root and ICEMirror?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Bugs and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: HDD Root and ICEMirror? Reply with quote

What does HDD Root mean (and is it relevant to doing what I want)?

I'm affraid Root modification would be undesireble, but I don't know..

This source discribes what a root IS, but I'm not sure what it means for icemirror:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/fatRoot-c.html

Procedurally I do this:
1.Master Directory "C" drive
2.Mirror Directory "H" drive

I then set the program for:
"Size+Binary",
"do not modify HDD Root",
"Case Sensitive",
"Dos Date and Time Format",
"Save Log".

I then hit:
Mirror "Full"

Problem is: evertime I get this note (and the progam does nothing):
"Attempt to modify HDD Root"

Desired Effect:

I'm trying to create a mirror of my Win2K boot partition, (on another partition but a different HardDisk), for backUp purposes if my 1st disk crashes.

Functionally I desire to occasionally update the boot partition (for things like new program installs). If the "primary" disk crashes then I'll be able to change boot settings on the motherboard and boot in a cdrom FDISK to change the boot.inf file to "mirrored" drive partition on the secondary disk - and thereafter boot up with that hard disk.

The partitions (logical) are identical in format (FAT32) and in Size (5gig). The primary is obviously "C:" and the mirror is "H:"

Questions:
1. Is the HDD Root modification neccesary AND will not harm my sytem (as I desire to configure it)?
2. Is the rest of my "configuring" of ICEMirror seem appropriate for my desired use?
yan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone even here?
andyt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that 'Do not modify HDD root ' is to protect the root directory of the drive you are copying files to. This is useful if the drive you are copying to is say a bootable one on another machine and you dont want to alter any root , maybe hidden system files.

If the disk you are mirroring to is purely a data partition then you could safely remove this option.

I don't believe that ICE mirror will make a 'drive image' type mirror that would allow you to move one windows system to a new hard disk - but I may be wrong there. I use PowerQuest DriveCopy for that job or Paragon softwares similar offerings.

Andy..
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: HDD Root and ICEMirror? Reply with quote

yan wrote:
What does HDD Root mean (and is it relevant to doing what I want)?

If this is flag is active, ICE Mirror do not allow to use as destination directory root of any HDD. Root of HDD mean C:\, D:\, E:\ ... I think not need to explain what can happened if to set destination as C:\ and to press mirror without this is flag.

yan wrote:

Questions:
1. Is the HDD Root modification neccesary AND will not harm my sytem (as I desire to configure it)?

HDD Root mean root path, not mean root table in FAT OS. Everything is safe. You can anytime disable flag "HDD Root". But be attentive. Be not mistaken at a choice of a path.

yan wrote:
2. Is the rest of my "configuring" of ICEMirror seem appropriate for my desired use?

For making full copy C: -> H: you have to disable flag "HDD Root". Moreover, ICE Mirror copy files like Explorer. I mean, ICE Mirror can not copy locked files, like registry. If you want to make backup of whole system better use special backup programs: Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage or similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Bugs and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: