www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V2 Campare - nothing happens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Bugs and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: V2 Campare - nothing happens Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Congratulations on a nice utility. Have been using ICE Mirror 1.2a for a year or so now and just found the updated V2.

I installed it in a separate directory from v1 but when I hit the compare button nothing happens. Any idea why?

Thanks

M
Mus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it does nothing if I have run Ice Mirror 1 first.

If I run IM 2 first it tells me that every file in two identical directories is different. Same options as IM 1.

WTF?

What's new in IM 2 anyway?
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mus wrote:
If I run IM 2 first it tells me that every file in two identical directories is different. Same options as IM 1.

Are you compare files from the same HDD ? May be date/time is different. Try to use DOS compare.
Mus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now it's back to not working at all. Any clues?

Size/date and DOS Date and Time are checked in both versions.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mus wrote:
Thanks. Now it's back to not working at all. Any clues?

Size/date and DOS Date and Time are checked in both versions.

Probably file creation time are different for different files.
Mus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, what I am saying is that the IM2 Compare function does not work at all here - any idea why?

What is the difference between IM2 and 1?

Thanks

M

BTW I am on Win XP P4 3GHz 1Gb RAM
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mus wrote:
No, what I am saying is that the IM2 Compare function does not work at all here - any idea why?

What is the difference between IM2 and 1?

ICE Mirror 2 use Unicode engine. It's mean, what ICE Mirror can copy and compare filename with any letters.

Can you select two small files from your directories, witch are the same. But witch produce prolem with ICE Mirror 2. Pack them to RAR or ZIP (WinRAR or WinZIP) amd send to support.
Mus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got it to run but at the moment it's all over the place - can't trust the results at all.

Here's what happened:

1. Compare Folder on disk with old backup folder on DVD-RAM - produces no output (zilch, nada, rien). Repeat several times - nothing.

2. Compare subfolder of above folders. Hurrah! produces expected list of new and changed files. However, does not scroll to the end of list as V1 did.

3. Clear log and compare different subfolders - produces same results as 2 above! Que?

V1 worked great for me - what advantages are there in V2?

Thanks

M
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mus wrote:
1. Compare Folder on disk with old backup folder on DVD-RAM - produces no output (zilch, nada, rien). Repeat several times - nothing.

ICE Mirror output only difference. If there is not output, it's mean both directories are identical.

Mus wrote:
2. Compare subfolder of above folders. Hurrah! produces expected list of new and changed files. However, does not scroll to the end of list as V1 did.

Some times in v2 scroll fail. But it's minor bug, because you can scroll manually and see whole output.

Mus wrote:
3. Clear log and compare different subfolders - produces same results as 2 above! Que?

And what's wrong ?

Mus wrote:
V1 worked great for me - what advantages are there in V2?

1. You could not explain how to reproduce any case then ICE Mirror fail. You found only minor visualisation bugs, witch really are not important.

2. If you do not like new features in ICE Mirror, do not use it. As you know, ICE Mirror is FREEWARE. So, i do not care will you use ICE Mirror or not.
Mus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICE Graphics wrote:
1. You could not explain how to reproduce any case then ICE Mirror fail.

Yes I did. There is a subfolder with different files which IM failed to pick up until I made that the main comparison folder. Then when I compare different folders it just reiterates the old results.

ICE Graphics wrote:
2. If you do not like new features in ICE Mirror, do not use it. As you know, ICE Mirror is FREEWARE.

Well, you still haven't told me what the new features are. I've produced free utilities in the past and am quite concerned if they don't work.

Ice Mirror is immensely useful to me actually and I'm really very grateful for your work.

ICE Graphics wrote:
i do not care

Heh. Nice one.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mus wrote:
ICE Graphics wrote:
1. You could not explain how to reproduce any case then ICE Mirror fail.

Yes I did. There is a subfolder with different files which IM failed to pick up until I made that the main comparison folder. Then when I compare different folders it just reiterates the old results.

1. "Reproduce" mean detailed instructions how to repeat what problem on other computer. If you want to fix bug, you have to make detailed instructions how to reproduce this is bug again and again.

2. All your reports look like to: "I did something somewhere, and it fail. Please explain me, why it fail." There are millions reasons why it can fail: your IM program or antivirus can lock that files, your HDD or file system can be damaged, you try to create files with symbols in name witch do not support your OS, your Windows can be infected, etc. I do know what wrong with your computer. If you want to proove, what it's not your computer problem, read previous paragraph.
Mus

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works in Ice Mirror 1 and doesn't in Ice Mirror 2. That's all I know.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mus wrote:
It works in Ice Mirror 1 and doesn't in Ice Mirror 2. That's all I know.

Like i told before "something somewhere may be wrong" ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Bugs and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: