www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best strategy for maintaining files on untrustworthy media?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Best strategy for maintaining files on untrustworthy media? Reply with quote

It appears that Seagate has managed to render me "stuck" with 5ea of their very defective ST31500341AS 1.5TB drives. So I'm trying to salvage a difficult situation.

Have some "backfiles" which I normally maintain on a RAID 1. Keeping them there is overkill, so would like to just migrate them to these networked Seagates. Problem is, they drop blocks all the time. Can protect against actual drive failure via a simple automatic rsync mirror....but those corroding blocks are a problem.

Have played around with ICE ECC and believe it would be a solution. But before I go off and try this - would like to hear from those why have paid some dues and are actually using ICE ECC to maintain archives on lossy media. Most specifically, would like to know what file level you used (root, directory, subdirectory), why you used it, and what level of redundancy did you select?

Ideally, I would to extract a reasonable service life from these disks without putting our data at risk. Comments or hints would be appreciated.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best strategy for maintaining files on untrustworthy med Reply with quote

AD wrote:
Most specifically, would like to know what file level you used (root, directory, subdirectory)

Usually protected object entirely. For example, If any damage byte distribution program will occur, the entire program will be damaged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: