www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bad sectors on HDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Bugs and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: bad sectors on HDD Reply with quote

hi
i don't mean to me ungrateful, but do you think because of the intense reading of the HDD during formation of ecc files, the chances of HDD failure/bad sectors forming on HDD are increased, compared to not using ice-ecc.

I am depending on your software for future disaster recovery, but my HDD developed bad sectors last week, and I was wondering what the cause could be. I have been using ice-ecc for around four months now to create ecc files.

Also, just curious - what checksum algorithm is used in your software - md5?
Are the filenames of the ecc'd files/other contents visible to anyone with access to the .ecc file?

thanks,
luke
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: bad sectors on HDD Reply with quote

luke wrote:
hii don't mean to me ungrateful, but do you think because of the intense reading of the HDD during formation of ecc files, the chances of HDD failure/bad sectors forming on HDD are increased, compared to not using ice-ecc.

ICE ECC use classical file reading as any file manager. There is only one difference with ICE ECC. ICE ECC check files and show all HDD failure. Usually file managers or any other HDD related software do not show HDD failure.

luke wrote:
I am depending on your software for future disaster recovery, but my HDD developed bad sectors last week, and I was wondering what the cause could be.

There are a lot of reason why bad sectors can appears. But all this is reasons related with hardware failure. It's impossible to make bad sector using some software.

luke wrote:

md5+crc32

luke wrote:
Are the filenames of the ecc'd files/other contents visible to anyone with access to the .ecc file?

Yes
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Quote:
luke wrote:

md5+crc32

Do you mean both md5 and crc32 checksums are stored inside the .ecc file?
In that case could you make a utility which extracts the information from the (i'm presuming) header and writes it out to a .md5 file (which contains the md5 checksum/s & filename/s) which is compatible with checksum utilities?

Quote:
luke wrote:

Yes

Another request - you could have an option to encrypt the filenames atleast if not the contents so that someone with access with to the .ecc file has no idea about the contents of the .ecc file or the data that it is made from?
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you mean both md5 and crc32 checksums are stored inside the .ecc file?

Yes

Quote:
In that case could you make a utility which extracts the information from the (i'm presuming) header and writes it out to a .md5 file (which contains the md5 checksum/s & filename/s) which is compatible with checksum utilities?

ICE ECC store crc32/md5 for every block, not for the file. It's impossible in current version to generate .md5 file from information stored in ecc files.

Quote:
Another request - you could have an option to encrypt the filenames atleast if not the contents so that someone with access with to the .ecc file has no idea about the contents of the .ecc file or the data that it is made from?

If you want to encrypt filenames you can to pack all files to ZIP or ISO without compression and protect this is ZIP or ISO by ICE ECC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Bugs and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: