www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mirroring versus Backup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Mirroring versus Backup? Reply with quote

"ICE Mirror is not backup program. ICE Mirror is program for mirroring witch can be used for simple file backup. "

"ICE Mirror is not BACKUP software. ICE Mirror is mirroring software (file copy software), witch can solve some simple backup operations."

Sorry for my lack of understanding, what is the difference between "mirroring" and "backup"?
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirroring versus Backup? Reply with quote

merf wrote:
"ICE Mirror is not backup program. ICE Mirror is program for mirroring witch can be used for simple file backup. "

"ICE Mirror is not BACKUP software. ICE Mirror is mirroring software (file copy software), witch can solve some simple backup operations."

Sorry for my lack of understanding, what is the difference between "mirroring" and "backup"?

Mirror - is a smart file copy. Only mirroning work more faster, if need to copy not all files. If some files already were copied before.

Backup usually mean making full copy of whole disk. Because only full disk backup allow to restore corrupted system disk.

ICE Mirror can be used for backup data files (MP3, documents, pictures). But ICE Mirror can NOT be used as system backup program.
diciotto18

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not able to run ice mirror, so I would like to know:
Is that a free program or not?
after selecting a master directory and after having selected
a mirror directory (mirror disk-position), what kind
of action must I do to create the mirror file???? (backup file)???
also if this is not a backup program and I connect a USB device
on wich saving the "mirror file", is it not true that after running
the program I should have a new file saved on USB device.???
thanks for some help
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diciotto18 wrote:
Is that a free program or not?

ICE Mirror - FreeWare.

diciotto18 wrote:
after selecting a master directory and after having selected
a mirror directory (mirror disk-position), what kind
of action must I do to create the mirror file???? (backup file)???

ICE Mirror is not backup program. ICE Mirror look like to simple DOS command "copy".

diciotto18 wrote:
also if this is not a backup program and I connect a USB device on wich saving the "mirror file",

ICE Mirror can make copy of your directory to your USB device directory. Files will copy like it's simple copy from explorer.
andyt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think distinction is BACKUP is for complete recovery from system crash. MIRROR is for efficiently keeping a mirrored copy of say all your documents or digital picture files on another device like a usb disk. I use a disk image type software for the former and ICE Mirror or FreeFileSync (sourceforge) for the latter. In fact I value my pictures and documents more than the system which you can always re-install from scratch anyway.
Andy..
stanislarr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Mirroring versus Backup Reply with quote

Darth Wong wrote:Unless the directory is huge, it seems to me that using software to do fancy incremental backups etc is a waste of time. I would rather have a complete file backup for any given date, so I can restore it easily on any host with no special software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: